M-F: 9:00AM–6:00PM (832) 533-2228

Employment Based Immigration

types of employment-based immigration for exceptional ability worker

employment-based immigrant Houston

Houston Work Visa Attorney

Useful Resources:

  • Labor Certification (PERM)

  • EB-1 Petitions for Persons with Extraordinary Ability, Outstanding Professors & Researchers, Multinational managers and executives

  • EB-2 Petitions for Professionals holding and Advanced Degree, Individuals with extraordinary ability or achievement, National Interest Waiver (NIW)

  • EB-3 Petitions for Skilled Workers, Professionals, and Unskilled Workers (Other Workers)

Permanent Residence through Employer

An immigrant is a foreign national who has been authorized to live and work permanently in the United States. To become an immigrant based on a permanent employment opportunity in the United States, or if an employer wants to sponsor someone for lawful permanent residence based on permanent employment in the United States, there is a multi-step process.

      1. Foreign nationals and employers must determine if the foreign national is eligible for lawful permanent residency in the United States under one of USCIS’ paths to lawful permanent resident.

      2. Most employment visas categories require that the U.S. business apply for a labor certification for the applicant, and file it at the Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration.

      3. USCIS has to approve an immigrant visa petition for the individual who wants to immigrate to the United States. The company wishing to bring the employee to the United States to work permanently files this petition.

      4. The State Department must give the applicant an immigrant visa number, even if the applicant is already in the United States. When the applicant receives an immigrant visas number, it means that an immigrant visa has been assigned to the applicant.

      5. If the petitioner is in the United States currently, he or she has to file to adjust status to permanent resident after a visa becomes available.  If the petitioner is in foreign country at the time when an immigrant visa number becomes available, he or she must finish the process at his or her local U.S. consulate office.

The United States allows up to 140,000 immigrants each year to be granted permanent residence based on the work that they perform while in the country. The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) has preferences for which type of workers are permanent residence.

For more information about employment based permanent residence or nonimmigrant visas (temporary work visas) contact our lawyers. Our attorneys work on all immigration law cases and green cards, H-1b visa, and types of investor and employment visa for ability in the sciences, religious workers, education, business or sport. Our Houston immigration lawyers provide a variety immigration services and always ready to help!